Gold Coast Hospital Demolition 2015

Gold Coast Hospital Demolition 2015 Nerang St Southport


In mid-2014, demolition of the 20 buildings on the 3.4 hectare site commenced to free up the area for new commercial development opportunities within the Southport Priority Development Area. Completion of the demolition works is expected in mid-2015

The site of the Gold Coast Hospital, also formerly known as the Southport Maternity Hospital, was first identified as being a suitable location for a hospital in 1921 after a number of other locations had been considered. An initial parcel of land fronting Nerang and Queens Streets was offered by the owner Mr. W. R. Black who had purchased the property specifically for use as a public hospital. Confirmation of the acceptance of Mr. Black's offer was noted at a meeting of the Women's Hospital Committee presided over by Mrs. Murray-Prior at the Southport School of the Arts in September 1921

The site, also known as the 'old rectory' and approved by the Home Office as being suitable for hospital, was retained by Mr. Black on the understanding that it would be sold at the purchase price to the Southport Memorial Hospital Committee, which had been established in 1918, [6] when funds and plans had progressed further. A series of fundraising events took place in the following years and by 1926 it was reported that £2,000 had been raised and additional land surrounding Mr. Black's property had been secured

The committee of the Southport and District Public Memorial Hospital applied to the Brisbane and South Coast Hospital Board requesting that an initial twelve bed facility be built on the site. At the time, the South Coast region was without public hospital facilities and patients were transferred to Brisbane. The committee undertook to calculate how may local residents had required transportation and treatment in Brisbane over the previous three years.  In 1929, Mr. A. Pope, from the Brisbane and South Coast Hospital Board, addressed a meeting of the Southport Town Council and explained that a hospital in Southport would be held over.

In December 1950 construction of a maternity hospital was nearing completion on the site originally selected in 1921. Following a shark attack of a life saver, Leo Vincent Ryan, at Burleigh Heads, which highlighted the lack of emergency facilities in the region, the decision was made to build a general hospital adjoining the new maternity hospital. At the time, in addition to Brisbane, the nearest public hospital was at Murwillumbah, New South Wales

On 28 September 2013, the Gold Coast Hospital at Southport closed. All patients were transferred to the new Gold Coast University Hospital at 1 Hospital Boulevard, off Parklands Drive in Southport. The Gold Coast also has a public hospital located in Robina near Robina station.
Information source 
wikipedia


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15,000 volunteers to join the Commonwealth Games

Australian tourists spending more than ever before in Queensland

$1.8 billion Queensland Housing Strategy delivers for the Gold Coast