Financial assistance rolls out for people affected by TC Debbie

Community recovery efforts are in full swing across the state, with more than 13,000 Queenslanders who have experienced hardship in the wake of Tropical Cyclone Debbie getting a helping hand.
Communities Minister Shannon Fentiman said the grants had been paid to people and families in affected areas, with most being Immediate Hardship Assistance grants.
“These grants helps cover the costs of essential items such as food, clothing and accommodation immediately after this type of disaster,” she said.
“There is still plenty of time for people experiencing hardship caused by TC Debbie in North Queensland and the subsequent flooding in affected areas in the south-east to apply for grants.”
Ms Fentiman said the Queensland Government had also extended the suburbs and towns that are eligible for financial assistance following flooding across the south-east of the state.
“As access to more areas across the region improved, it has become clear that more residents needed immediate financial assistance and support services,” she said.
“We are now extending our support, including Immediate Hardship Assistance Grants, to badly affected people in Flagstone in Logan, and Scenic Rim’s Harrisville, Hillview and Tambrookum.
“On the Gold Coast, those experiencing hardship caused by flooding in Alberton, Mudgeeraba, Bonogin and Tallebudgera Valley areas can now apply for grants.
“We will continue to extend our support to affected areas as we need to. We’re here for the long haul.”
A community recovery hub continues to operate at the Beenleigh Event Centre from 9am to 5pm every day.
While residents in affected areas who have power or phones are encouraged to use the Self-Recovery app or online portal at www.qld.qld.gov/communityrecovery or ring the hotline on 1800 173 349 in the first instance to lodge applications, seek information and assistance, or arrange outreach visits, they can also visit the Beenleigh hub for face-to-face help.
Residents can talk to community recovery workers, receive referrals for community organisations and other government agencies and those who are experiencing hardship can apply for grants.
Immediate Hardship Assistance will be available to people who:
  • Live or are stranded in the targeted activation zone
  • Are unable to meet immediate essential needs
  • Are unable to seek support from family or friends
Subject to these criteria, applicants may receive $180 per person up to $900 for a family of five or more. Other assistance may also be available.
Ms Fentiman said community recovery operations were also well underway in North Queensland, which bore the full force of the cyclone, with five community recovery hubs operating across the region.
“This includes Proserpine, Cannonvale and Bowen hubs and two Mackay hubs,” she said.
Ms Fentiman said 385 Ready Reserve staff have so far been deployed to boost recovery efforts, together with our Recovery Qld community partners like Red Cross, Vinnies, the Salvos and Uniting Care Qld.
“By late Monday, the Community Recovery Hotline had already received close to 18,000 calls from people needing information, support and to apply for grants,” she said.
Essential Household Contents Grants, Structural Assistance Grants and Essential Services Safety Reconnection Scheme Grants are also available for individuals and families affected by this widespread disaster.
Extra financial assistance also continues to be available for residents in Mackay and Whitsunday areas, affected by the loss of electricity, gas or water for more than five days. This is in addition to the Immediate Hardship Assistance Grants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15,000 volunteers to join the Commonwealth Games

$1.8 billion Queensland Housing Strategy delivers for the Gold Coast

Australian tourists spending more than ever before in Queensland